Yesterday, after we returned "home" from the orphanage, we went through the possible court questions. Practicing how to answer them warmly but efficiently. This morning Vlad and Anna, our coordinator, came to pick us up and take us to court. We were brought to the court house along with another family that was having their hearing. All of us we told to sit and wait on these benches near the door while Anna went and did something with our passports. Time passes and we chat with the other family. They are from Malta and this is their second Russian adoption.
Our social worker, from the orphanage, walks in and shakes our hands then goes off somewhere. We just continue to sit and make conversation, which I find thrilling because I love chatting with strangers. Finally, it is time to go upstairs. Anna says "sit here" to the other family and "come on your first" to us. Here we go.
It's not a courty looking court room. Nothing like you see on the people's court, judge judy, law & order it's more of a closet looking court room. The judge sits in her judge like robe at her desk, the prosecutor sits on one side, a note taker on the other, then our social worker, translator, Jim and myself all mashed into closet court room #213.
The judge calls the meeting to order and states the purpose. Jim is asked to stand and state his basic information, then I am asked the same. I sit and Jim stands back up to answer all the important questions about his job, our house, our family and friends, why adopt, etc. Jim sits and I am asked if there is anything I would like to add, she asks again why adopt, why not biological kids instead, why don't I work, and if I have experience caring for small children.
The judge seems to be done with her questions and the prosecutor would like me to state again why we are adopting and not having a biological kid right now.
Side note... In our minds it makes so much sense to adopt first. The process is long, and hard, and requires a lot of time away from home. It would just be so hard to do with another child at home. However, Russia acts like this is the first time they have ever heard of such an insane idea.
The judge goes through our dossier. Right there, right before us all that hard work just swishing by so quickly, I assume it means everything is proper and all in order. She does not ask for any of the additional papers that we have brought with us. She asks if we need more time, no. She asks if we need more information, no. She asks if we would like to adopt him, yes yes please.
Next up is the social worker. She is the one on our side. She observed us back in August when we visited the orphanage. She states that when the boy was brought in he was starting to cry and we hugged him, comforted him, and made him feel happy. She tells about us playing and interacting with him. As she talks I'm starting to feel like it's the beginning of the end, I know I'm going to start crying soon. I start my I wont cry mantra, that sounds like this "I like baseball, the Red Sox play baseball" It's not working. The social worker carries on about how adoption by us would be the best for this child. The social worker is finished and everyone but the judge has to leave the room so she can deliberate, as if there is really something to think about!
Off to the hall we go. We spend about two minutes standing in the hall, just enough time for me to clear the lump out of my throat. Back in and sit down. The judge says that she thinks our home and our family would be the best for this child. We agree. I want to shake her hand. I want to thank her, thank everyone there, but I have no words. My face is streaming with tears and I hear them giggling as I walk out the door. Anna gives me a hug and I pull myself together. Jim and I go back to the hall to sit and the other couple says "congratulations mama and papa"
-----------------
Thank you for all your prayers, support, and encouragement. The journey isn't over but we are starting to see that faint light at the end of the tunnel. Jim leaves Kemerovo tomorrow on a 7:00am flight for an insane day of travel back to Kansas.
Woo hoo - congratulations mom and dad!! You did it! So happy for you. Enjoy every minute in your baby boy's home country. It will go by quickly and you honestly will miss it when you come home!!
ReplyDeleteYES!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! YAY!!! I am so happy for you! On a side note, I am Maltese. First born generation here in the USA. Whenever I read someone is from Malta it makes my day. Anyway, congrats again on becoming a Mommy and Daddy today!!!!
ReplyDeletedang lady, you made me tear up! I can't imagine all your hope, hard work, prayers, etc lumped into that one room and one moment. I'd be so nervous and crying too!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats :)
This is so great! I had to say your I-won't-cry mantra as I read :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!!! You're a momma!!!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so happy and excited for you guys!
ReplyDeleteYay! I have tears in my eyes. So very very happy for you all. Congratulations.
ReplyDelete(Side note: we finally just said it would be medically difficult for us to have more children - I had difficult pregnancies but could almost surely have more children - after our court translator couldn't get past the fact that we were choosing to adopt. I wonder why that's such a sticking point.)
Congratulations!!! Very happy for you guys~
ReplyDeleteSafe travels home for Jim!
Congratulations Mommy & Daddy!!! Thrilled for you!
ReplyDeleteWow. Totally crying here. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!!!!!!!! and safe travels for all!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! We were at the same court building with Anna in 2007 and 2008. It is truly a magical moment. Enjoy your time in Russia with the little one. You'll make memories you'll cherish forever!
ReplyDeleteAh shucks. You just made me cry a bit too. Congratulations! Pictures please? :-)
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! I am so glad that you can finally see the red flag waving for the end of this journey:). I hope that things continue to go smoothly!
ReplyDeleteBridget Schultz
Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! I am so happy for your family.The finish line is so close now.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations !!! Enjoy !
ReplyDeleteYea!!!! Congratulations Mom & Dad!!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, Congrats, so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to both of you :)
ReplyDeleteYour retelling of that moment was so beautiful I was crying too. I couldn't be happier for you.
Congratulations to the both of you! It sounds like the journey of parenthood is just beginning for you even though you've been through quite the process already! I am delighted for you!
ReplyDeleteHOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!!!!
ReplyDeleteI've got tears streaming down my face! I'm so happy for you both...how exciting! I'm sending prayers that Jim's travels home are safe and uneventful, and that your time left in Russia is problem free and you enjoy time with your son!! =)
HOORAY!! =)
Congratulations to the 3 of you!!!!! Happy Family Day!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful news Trisha!! Congratulations and safe travels home!
ReplyDeleteYEA! What an experience but oh somany wonderful moments ahead.
ReplyDeleteLove reading your blog!
Sudie
Wonderful news!!! Congratulations!!! Praying the 10 day wait will go quick for you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Mom and Dad!!! Bet it feels great to finally hear those words. What a great bedtime story you will have about bringing him home. Enjoy your sightseeing.
ReplyDeleteGod is good... he knows how to hug the lost children of this world through the real arms of the Tylick family and give them a a loving American home. This time it was a boy, now safe in the arms of Trish and Jim. This is very moving. Thanks for making us part of this experience. Johan
ReplyDeleteSorry I'm late to say congratulations!
ReplyDelete